Wednesday 12 June 2013

Moments.....

Everyday is full of 'moments'....some good, some not so good....today I woke up feeling really flat...sleep is something I don't always do well, and after a couple of restless nights, I can sometimes wake up feeling sorry for myself . Nothing new, and I'm quite used to it, and most days I suck it up, do some stretches and get on with my day.
So feeling somewhat poopy, I decided to go for a walk....a few minutes out on the street, and I decided to purposely walk by the homeless shelter. I guess lots of people would walk by this place and look the other way, but now that I've been part of a group that do regular visits to this place i can't walk by without looking through the gates and seeing some of the folks I know, who through no fault or choice of their own, have come to call it home. 
Under no circumstance, would you or I choose this place to reside..but not everyone has the luxury of choice. A young boy I've come to know is sitting alone in the courtyard, and sees me, I give him a wave and a smile and I call hello. His face lights up..and he points towards the rooms that we do our sessions in. Sadly I have to tell him, today is not our visiting day, even though we don't speak the same language, I think he understands, because his smile fades a little. I tell him I'll be back...and keep walking. 
As I continue my walk, I pass a door down a tiny alley, and I looked in briefly as I kept walking, but I noticed a very old lady sitting in a wheelchair, facing out towards the street. I bet she'd rather be up and healthy too.
I've also noticed that alot of people in this town, sleep on bed frames without mattresses.
So my short walk, has taken my self pity and pushed it somewhere deep inside.
The good moments today, were many..we had a school group from Melbourne, who were on a school trip, they came  to our workshop and did our "Painting and Lantern making class" along with the principal and two teachers. They were all so pleasant and I think, made aware of the fact that they are 'privileged' to live in a country where a good education is easy to come by. After the class they had shopping time, and for the next 20 minutes our staff all went  into full speed, trying to keep up with the kids all clambering to get their purchases.
Today is a special holiday here in Hoi An, like a mini Tet. And my lovely landlady once again offered us lunch, so in a break I headed home to a tray of food, enough for four...Andrew couldn't join me, due to meetings, so I made a pretty good effort on my own, but it didn't look like it...I called Andrew and asked " are you coming home to help me out, cause there's tonnes of food here." Alas, no! It was a solo effort. Sweet people...interesting food!!!!!
Today, just seemed to go well, we had lots of lovely customers, who bought items and expressed their genuine love for what it is that our shop achieves.
We also had two young girls walk in early evening and it turns out they are journalists, and write a column for the Saigon Times, their area is charity organisations. Another good connection, as Karen was in store at the time, she was able to fill them in on everything they wanted to know.
Tired but happy, we ride home after another long day, and stop off at one of our local 'eats'....and refuel. 
Hospitality at its best....
Templestowe Valley Primary School.
Lots of little moments make up our days....try to remember the 'good ones'.....
Karen and her granddaughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment