Tuesday 4 June 2013

Dinner with Angels..

This morning I managed to sneak out of my room early...see, I live above a furniture store, and the family that owns it, also live on the 2nd floor, I live on the 3rd floor. And although I've asked about having a key to the roller door that locks the store ( and the house) at night, the landlady isn't keen. So I thought I was trapped until the store opened everyday  at 8am...but I found out Tan goes walking quite early, and she leaves the roller door open just slightly....so.. I'm Free...
Today was the first time I've put on closed in shoes. My feet felt very tight and squeezy.
I wandered thru lots of small streets, working my way around town, observing life at the early hrs in this small town. Many school kids were already making their way to school. Lots of workers were already up, doing their thing, digging, building etc, this includes many woman, shovelling spadefulls of sand into wheelbarrows, and lifting piles of bricks up to the men on the next level. The building sites are usually 50/50 men and women..crazy!!
I met Karen at her favourite breaky bar..you maybe visualising "3 monkeys" or "Uncle Joes" or somewhere similar, but this is literally a hole in the wall, that fills up with people early in the morning, all sitting shoulder to shoulder, side by side eating the one thing (I'd say on the menu, but there is no menu)..Mi Quang.
That's all they make, they don't do coffee or anything else..and as soon as I walked in and shuffled in next to Karen, I was served a large bowl of noodles, and a plate of salad greens. And that's mi Quang..
And this delightful bowl of flavour cost me 15000 vnd - 75c
Should you happen to go past this same alley in the afternoon, you would assume you'd picked the wrong alley, as there is no sign of food or tables, it now looks like someone's small and unassuming front porch.  They only do breakfast !!!
After breaky and the integral part of the day.....Saigon cafe, I'm off to the shelter, for another hysterical session of music therapy and games.
As soon as I sweep thru the gates into the courtyard on my bike, I get a bunch of hands going up, waving, they've met me twice, and already they know I'm here to visit and hang out with them..
Some are smiling from their rooms, waiting to be put In wheelchairs and taken to our rooms, some make their own way there.
Two young boys Khahn and Phuc head into the room at lightning speed, excited to help set up the tables, get out the stereo and put the fan on etc. no words, just smiling happy faces.
I'm starting to work out what each person is capable of, and what makes each of them happy.
Some of them sing to the songs we play on the cd. Some just enjoy banging their instruments (albeit plastic bottles with a few bead inside them).
Games time is always fun, and today I managed to get more organised, getting them to watch my hand and all wait til I finished standing up all the bowling pins, and then I stood back, and counted to 3 and made a signal for them all to throw the balls at once, Raws of laughter go up, as their combined efforts knock over all or most of the pins. However after a number of goes, they decide it would be 'more' fun to wait til I'm in the middle, standing up the pins, and one, then all of them begins to throw the balls AT me...this just kills them with laughter...... I thought one lady wasn't going to breathe again, she laughed so long...if it brings them this much pleasure, I'm happy to be the 'human bowling pin'...

Lots of hugs are already happening at the end of our sessions, they are so full of love, and I fear no one else loves them til the next time we come to visit!!
The rest of my day is taken up with more hotel visits, marketing thru town. I really should be wearing a hat.. Am starting to look like a red Indian! But if anyone wants tips on we're to stay or eat in this town...I am the new 'trip advisor' ...
Four hrs in the workshop chatting to many various customers...and my work day is done..Finished at 5pm..an early one .
After a much needed shower ( you think you're getting a tan, and then realise most of it washes off in the shower...dirt!!) 

A txt from Karen, and I'm over the road at "Beer in a bowl" for a fabulous pomelo and shrimp salad. ($2:75) street food at its best..
At the table with Karen, are two other ladies, Robyn who works with a childrens foundation, and Sondra who, with her husband, run Streets, the cafe that trains disadvantaged young people. As I sit and listen to the conversation between these 3 beautiful women, who all have hearts of gold...I feel like I'm having dinner with  'angels'..........








1 comment:

  1. Just checking if i am able to post a comment :)
    LOVE YOU MOST x

    ReplyDelete